This was an open letter that I emailed to NUFC as well as friends, family and collegues, regarding my feeling towards the club at the time. I was debating whether or not to do the once unthinkable and not renew my season ticket. This open letter, made the final decision an easy one to make. .
.Newcastle United FC
.St James Park
.Newcastle Upon Tyne
.NE1
Shaun Smith
Sheriff Hill, Gateshead
NE9 5SB
25th January 2009
Dear Newcastle United Football Club,
If you need to make some sort of major decision in life, it’s best to write down your positives and negatives on the subject, to find out which outweighs the other.
I’ve been supporting NUFC since 1974 and have had a season ticket since 1982 (apart from two seasons at the beginning of the ‘90’s) so with a heavy heart here’s my ‘for’s and against’ for renewing for 2009-10 season.
MY REASONS NOT TO RENEW
1. Relegation
A possibility this season, if not this year then it looks just a matter of time, the club looks to be heading in one direction and that’s DOWN!
2. The hierarchy
Those three cockney jokers who basically don’t have any love or association with the club and look at NUFC as primarily a business - which they’ve made a complete arse of! Begrudge giving them another £500.
3. Transfer dealings
Goodbye to our starman Owen and most loyal player Shay Given - 11 years service, no testimonial, I hope he ends up winning something elsewhere, good luck to the lad.
Signed Xisco (who??) Gonzalez on loan (is he still on the payroll even though he’ s fucked) Ameobi gets a new contract! Bullard signs for Hull! We sign a player who’s only played half an hour this season, Kinnear had to call a meeting with Ashley on JANUARY 13th cap in hand pleading for funds- it’s all shit!
4. Match tickets
Do you need a season ticket anyway? I get txt messages nearly every game with tickets for sale for £15, which sometimes eventually go down to a fiver, just to get rid.
You can join the ‘members club’ for (I think it’s) £25, giving you priority match tickets, you can then pick and choose your games, meaning you don’t have to suffer the humiliation defeats against ManYoo, Scousers etc.
5. Saturday alternatives
Groundhopping, non-league football and an ambitious club which I have an affection for, that are heading in the right direction - Gateshead FC.
Over the last few seasons I’ve welcomed home games being moved to a Sunday, freeing up my Saturday’s, so I can do one of the above.
6. Are the best days behind us?
The Keegan bandwagon, as player and then manager.
Champions League, trips to Barcelona, Milan etc,
A couple of FA cup finals, when we had to misfortune to face to best club in the country on each occasion.
Could the days of ‘The Entertainers’ return? I doubt it, entertaining football when you couldn’t wait for the next game, now you just dread the next game.
7. The working mans game - gone!
Surely everyone like myself, is totally disillusioned with the Premiership, the ‘Big 4’ get further away from the rest, well apart from Man City, prepared to spent over £100M on Kaka, at the same time we’re linked with Shittu!
The 39th game, Ferguson, and Wenger’s constant whinging, its all boring now and it’s all about the money, I just can’t be chewed with it!
REASONS TO RENEW
1. We might win something and I might not see it
2. Like a bevy before and after the match
Your sincerely
Mr S Smith
A loyal and devoted supporter for 35 years.
No comments:
Post a Comment